This report provides a concise overview of the Ice Cream
market in Australia. After reading this report, you will understand the size
of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will
drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you
to plan effectively for the future.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Australian Ice
Cream sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and
comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the
key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Experience Seeking in Ice Cream, along with health increased health
consciousness impacting Australian Ice Cream Sector.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Variety seekers and health conscious consumers driving recent changes. Artisanal
Ice Cream is growing as consumers continue to reward themselves with small
treat, however portion control Ice Cream is also growing owing to the
increased health and wellness concern. Value of the Australian dollar versus
the US dollar fell rapidly during the second half of 2008, and then grew
rapidly during 2009. This has caused volatile growth in the Australian Ice
Cream market in US$ terms, even as volumes have grown at a relatively
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a
comprehensive brief of the Australian Ice Cream sector. This allows for the
rapid identification of key growth opportunities across major Ice Cream
categories and their packaging.
Key Features and Benefits
Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and
demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Ice Cream
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of
major Ice Cream categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across
Ice Cream categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Ice Cream sector is provided,
including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer
Key Market Issues
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets were the most important
retail outlet for Ice Cream followed by Food & Drink Specialists and Convenience Stores.
Artisanal manufacturers are
innovating in premium range ice cream to tap this niche market and gain from
the consumers who seek variety and local flavors.
Australians are becoming increasingly aware about ethical consumerism as
manufacturers reassessing their supply chain to ensure their Fairtrade
product lines to cater this niche segment.
Lifestyle change, rising on-the-go consumption and the demand for small
portion snacking, supported by Australia’s rising per-capita income and the
increasing number of working families, has led to the growth of Artisanal and
Impulse Ice Cream.
Private label penetration rates in the Australian Ice Cream sector will be
helped by the concentrated Food retail market, where the two leading
retailers, Woolworths and Coles, dominate distribution.
Increasing innovation in frozen dairy novelties and snacks
will provide tough competition for the Ice Cream market.
Premiumisation, innovation and differentiation will become more crucial in
future for growth. New product innovations will change consumer
expectations from other manufacturers
too, while packaging innovations will significantly enhance consumer
Natural, organic, and fair trade ice cream product lines are being
developed to meet consumers’ increasing desire to consume ethically, their
growing environmental awareness and their desire to consume natural
Changing lifestyles and wider distribution through multiple channels will
further reduce the impact of seasonality on Ice Cream
Price discounting and concentrated retail space will drive Private Label
share however variety seekers will continue to explore brands to satisfy their
Table of Contents
- Australia's population is aging and becoming increasingly multi-cultural
- Food & Grocery growth will be concentrated in national chains
- Buying convenience plays a major role in Ice Cream sales, owing to the impulse
nature of the category
- Public awareness regarding healthy diets and nutrition has increased
- Experience Seeking in Ice Cream, along with health consciousness continues to
be among the leading trends in Australian Ice Cream Sector
- Ethical consumerism rising with increasing awareness
- Artisanal and Impulse growing faster than Take Home Ice Cream category
- Lifestyle change, on the go consumption, small portion snacking impacting
category winners and losers
- Fluctuating exchange rates have added complexity to the Australian Ice Cream
- Variety, premiumization driving Artisanal Ice Cream sales with innovation
towards health conscious product line
- The value of the Take-Home Ice Cream category will grow steadily during
Brands & Private Labels
- Concentrated retail environment together with price discounting can drive
growth in Private Label penetration
- Price discounting and concentrated retail space will drive Private Label share
- Key brands by category
- Impulse Ice Cream’s high volume share is creating demand for Flexible
Packaging Bags/Sachets and Paper & Board
- Paper & Board is the most preferred form of packing material in Ice Cream
market giving convenience to customer
Future Outlook– four key trends in Australia’s Ice Cream sector
- Tough competition from Dairy Alternatives
- Ethical Consumerism will increase
- Innovation will drive sales
- Seasonality will decrease
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology