If you got a question, look no further.
We post the most common questions
in our FAQ section.
Please fill in the form below to receive a Free Sample of the Report.
This report provides a concise overview of the Confectionery market in
Germany. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market,
the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will drive its evolution
and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the German Confectionery
sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and
comprehensive insight into the current state of the market, and identify the key
trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The German population is aging and becoming increasingly health conscious, which
creates an opportunity for more healthy Confectionery product lines. Meanwhile,
consumers have continued to turn to Confectionery as an affordable treat, even
though the weak economic conditions have forced them to cut back spending in
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
German consumers continue to indulge in fun and enjoyment with Confectionery
products. High brand loyalty and premiumization, combined with aggressive
marketing strategies, have contributed to sales growth.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a
comprehensive brief of the German Confectionery sector. This allows for the
rapid identification of key growth opportunities across three Confectionery
categories and their packaging.
Key Features and Benefits
Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and demography
reveals emerging opportunities in the Confectionery sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of three
Market shares are provided for the leading brands across Confectionery
An overview of packaging trends in the German Confectionery sector is provided,
including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer
Key Market Issues
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets are the leading retailers of Food products
in Germany, followed by Food & Drink Specialists, and convenience Stores.
Hypermarkets& Supermarkets have the largest value share of Confectionery
distribution in Germany. The other retailers that hold significant importance in
the Confectionery market are Convenience Stores, Drug stores & Pharmacies, Food
& Drink Specialists, Cash & Carries & Warehouse Clubs, and Vending Machines.
The German Confectionery market is skewed towards older consumers (aged above 55
years), who constitute 25% of the market by volume. Additionally, the majority
of Confectionery users tend to be financially affluent, and should be encouraged
Confectionery is a universally-consumed product, but is slightly skewed towards
female consumption in Germany. Older consumers aged 55 and over constitute one
quarter of the consumption for both men and women.
Chocolate and Sugar Confectionery accounted for 90% of the total number of packs
used in the German Confectionery sector in 2012, driving significant demand for
Flexible Packaging Film and Bag/Sachet. Box, Blister Pack, and Trays are the
other key pack types for Confectionery products in Germany.
The most important consumption motivation in the German Confectionery
market is Indulgence, followed by Personal Space& Time, and Fun & Enjoyment. In
addition to these motivators, value for money products are also preferred by
consumers as retailers’ private label strategies gain success, not only with
“me-too” products but also in premium ranges.
Private label’s Confectionery strategy is moving on from a “me-too” product
strategy and exploring the premium space with new products, which is driving
higher growth rates compared to brands.
Increasing health concerns will influence German consumers’ behavior, while
manufacturers will explore health claims and functional benefits to improve
Table of Contents
- Economic uncertainty to adversely affect consumer spending in Germany
- Germany’s food retail market is highly competitive, saturated and features low
prices and narrow margins
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets will account for the largest share of Germany
- Changing demographic profile and growing online sales will influence German
- Women consume higher proportion of the confectionery products in Germany
- Confectionery manufacturers aim to attract medium -low frequency consumers
with innovative products
- Indulgence is the major trend driving consumption in the German confectionery
- Indulgence and enjoyment are key motivations driving confectionery consumption
- While enjoying Personal Space & Time is an important motivator of
confectionery consumption, consumers remain aware of the value for money brands
- The overall Confectionery market is expected to grow at steady pace both in
value and volume terms during the forecast period
- Chocolate and gum categories are expected to grow at higher rate as a result
of rising demand from urban population
- Market share of Chocolate and Gum will increase whereas share of Sugar
Confectionery is expected to decline
- Chocolates and Gums are expected to register positive growth during the
- Sugar confectionery is expected to register low positive growth during the
Brands & Private Labels
- Private Label have a growing presence in the overall confectionery market with
majority share in the Sugar Confectionery category
- While private label have significant penetration in the sugar confectionery
category, it is expected to witness low growth during the forecast
- Ritter and Kraft are the leading brands in the German Chocolate market
- High demand of Chocolates will drive the growth of Flexible Film Packs
- The market share of flexible packaging will increase while the market share of
metal packaging decline
- Growing demand of premium and exotic flavors is an important trend in the
chocolate market with growing awareness of health-focused confectionery products
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology